Lyra Products are special order only
please contact us before placing your order.
Although many MC cartridges have good performance, their sound is held back by how they are designed. The problem is, the signal coils should have the same angle as the magnetic circuit during playback, but MC cartridges are typically designed so that the opposite happens – applying normal tracking force pushes the coils out of alignment. This impairs coil sensitivity and linearity, and reduces sound quality.
Lyra’s “New Angle” technology solves this fundamental problem by compensating for how the signal coils are affected by vertical tracking forces, and optimally aligning the coils when it matters most – during playback. Introduced on our entry-level Delos, the New Angle technology enables the Delos to perform well above its pricepoint.
But being audiophiles, we wanted to achieve the next higher level – which is the new Kleos. Building on New Angle technology, the Kleos innovates with a stronger chassis machined from aircraft-grade alloys, narrowed mounting area to improve energy transfer, and pre-stressed construction combining multiple materials with non-parallel surfaces to inhibit internal body resonances. The fully hand-made Kleos also has a Lyra-designed line contact stylus and platinum-plated output pins, achieving an exceptionally quiet noise-floor with superior immediacy, resolution and tracking, wide dynamic range and explosive transients, plus a warmer and natural tonal balance. The Kleos is a high-value cartridge that surpasses the sound quality of substantially more expensive cartridges.
Specifications for Lyra Kleos Etna λ Lambda
- Designer: Jonathan Carr
- Builder: Yoshinori Mishima (final build, testing), Akiko Ishiyama (preliminary build)
- Type: Medium weight, medium compliance, low-impedance moving coil cartridge
- Stylus: Lyra-designed long-footprint variable-radius line-contact nude diamond (3um x 70um), slot-mounted
- Body: Nickel-plated duraluminum
- Cantilever system: Solid boron rod with short one-point wire suspension, directly mounted into cartridge body
- Coils: 2-layer deep, 6N high-purity copper, square-shaped chemically-purified high-purity iron former, 5.4ohm self-impedance, 9.0uH inductance
- Output voltage: 0.5mV@5cm/sec., zero to peak, 45 degrees (CBS test record, other test records may alter results)
- Frequency range: 10Hz ~ 50kHz
- Channel separation: Greater than 30dB at 1kHz
- Compliance: Approx. 12×10-6cm/dyne at 100Hz
- Cartridge body: One-piece machining from solid 7075 alloy billet, with reduced-surface higher-pressure headshell contact area, partially non-parallel shaping, phase-interference resonance-controlling mechanism, and body threaded directly for mounting screws
- Cartridge mounting screws: 2.6mm 0.45 pitch JIS standard
- Distance from mounting holes to stylus tip: 9.5mm
- Cartridge weight (without stylus cover): 8.8g
- Tracking force: 1.65 ~ 1.75g (1.72g recommended)
- Recommended load directly into MC phono input: 95.3ohm ~ 816ohm (detailed guidelines in instruction manual, finalize by listening)
- Recommended load via step-up transformer: Use a step-up transformer designed for 3 – 6 ohms cartridge impedance (step-up transformer’s output must be connected to 10kohm ~ 47kohm MM-level RIAA input, preferably via short, low-capacitance cable)
- Recommended tonearms: Medium to Medium-High mass arms recommended, which is bulk of tonearm market